Thursday, July 9, 2015

Two Days in and I'm Amazed

Wow.

Pretty much the only word that can describe the whirlwind that is Delhi at this very moment. Although we've only been here two days, I've already chalked up so many incredible memories.

First thing first, every student in this program is absolutely fabulous. The students from SRCC have made us feel so comfortable in our new environment and we've already started to become great friends. From talking about coursework to economics (woot woot) to what food we like to how we generally spend our free time, the past two days have been so cool.

While we've sat through a few interesting lectures, participated in meaningful discussion, made some pottery, and rode a rickshaw, I think that at this point, my observations are what are constituting my sense of wonder about this crazy place.

So, let me just go right through a few things.

1. Jet lag is a very real thing. I felt like an actual person this morning after a full night of sleep, and I know for sure that our new India friends were excited to see that the Americans were not the crazy-eyed zombies that arrived to campus yesterday.

2. While there are technically traffic laws in India, there are no rules when it comes to driving a vehicle. Driving on the left side of the road is a new experience within itself, but add blaring horns, bicycles, people trying to cross the road, the disregarding of traffic lights, and various animals running around, being on the streets of Delhi has been quite the experience. Good thing we have our Indian friends to guide the way, because I'm not sure if I would be able to cross anywhere without them. Let's just say I won't be driving around here any time soon.

3. Taylor Swift is universal. While we were talking about what type of music we all enjoy and what type of dance moves are in our repertoire, we discovered that Taylor Swift is loved by all. All hail the queen of catchy, generally lovesick, jams.

4. American boys and Indian boys share at least one definite quality: they don't particularly enjoy shopping with females. While on an adventure to the market today, the boys in our group were definitely not entertained by the trying on of clothes and indecisiveness about what colorful dress to buy. Don't get me wrong, they were great sports and we loved their company, but I think it's safe to say that they would have rather been on the move than stuck in the store.

5. Although I don't really know the names of everything that I'm eating, I've loved exploring Indian cuisine through my meals. There are so many different flavors and everything seems to go together just perfectly.

6. Rickshaw drivers are legit... those guys know how to drive and get you to your destination quickly in the craziness that I mentioned above.

Well, that's about all I can process at this point. What I know for sure is that I think I'm already falling in love with the adventure of India. There's a new surprise around every corner, and our new friends are making this place feel just a tad bit more extraordinary.

Yet again, here's to a month of awe and wonder.

I rode in a rickshaw backwards today, here's a picture to prove it,
Kirst






2 comments:

  1. Nicely written Great pointers! You guys are also fab. :) (y)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your trip is off to a great start😎 yay!!

    ReplyDelete