Thursday, August 6, 2015

An Open Love Letter To India

My dearest India,

I now sit here in the Philadelphia airport after a 4 hour flight, a 19 hour eye-opening experience in the Middle East, and a 14 hour flight to the US of A in a state of disbelief that I've actually left you. After being with you for a month, I actually feel strange being home and in the country sealed on the front of my freshly stamped passport.

While I am happy to be back and I'm looking forward to Coach Rei picking me up at the Erie airport in 6 short hours, I'm already having slight separation anxiety from you. I figured now would be the best time to write to you, being that I'm fresh off of a 14 hour reflection and this is the best way for me to process everything.

For starters, I must tell you that you threw me for quite the loop. I have to admit that you made me question my hopeless romantic belief in love at first sight. I emerged into the thick air of Delhi in the mindset of what the hell have I done and how am I going to live here for a month. Not because of your abundance of people, noise, and craziness, but because of my sense of being extremely uncomfortable. I was scared about what was to come, how I was going to communicate with others, and how I was going to build relationships with the people around me.

While I may not have fallen in love at first sight, I definitely fell in love within the first three days. After conquering jet lag, I was a new person, one that was ready to embrace everything that is India. Your colorful streets, raging spurts of Hindi, and caring nature of your people drew me in and I never looked back.

I remember blogging on my second day of the trip that I was completely amazed by you. Since that day, I fell deeper and deeper in love with you.  I became incredibly invested in your culture, even when I experienced some not-so-pretty things. For a month, you showed me something entirely new each and every day. You changed my view of the world.

I can't thank you enough, my love. India, you have taught me so much. As I begin to ramble, please know that it is out of adoration and that my emotions and mindset are quite jumbled as I spew out everything I've taken in over the course of my adventure.

India, thank you for teaching me that language is not always a barrier. Dance moves are a common form of communication. Smiles are universally understood. Everyone loves Taylor Swift. Americans start the best dance parties. Love can be discovered in places that you least it expect it. I need to attend (or have) an Indian wedding. Rickshaws, while terrifying, are a very enjoyable way of travel. Adventure is everywhere. It's possible to fall in love in ten days. Everyone needs a little (emphasis on little) spice in their life. I love dosas. Experiencing and observing other religions is mesmerizing. Fun pants are so comfy, but they make you look like a total tourist. The way to someone's heart is through their stomach. Crossing streets in Delhi can increase your blood pressure. I need to always appreciate what I have. Everyone loves the THON line dance. Kurtas are fabulous. Honesty (while sometimes the best policy) can be hurtful. I need to always trust my gut. FaceTime is the most efficient cure for homesickness.
Mangos actually have magical powers. Corn and pomegranate seeds are a strange, but delicious, combo. Cold showers aren't all that bad. Kids will always brighten your day. People can be really ignorant. Hair wraps will survive monsoon season. I don't like spiders that are the size of my palm. Bug spray sometimes has to double as perfume. I should always be thankful for clean water, fruits, and veggies. Re-packing your suitcase (37 times) can be therapeutic. Spotify's Acoustic Morning playlist is a necessity for traveling. Pop tastes better when in a bottle. The WHOOP on a Saturday in Happy Valley is nothing compared to Indian public transportation. Dogs seem cuter when you're not allowed to pet them. Mehndi, while gorgeous, does not smell good. People may think you're a celebrity just because you come from America. Food poisoning... don't mess with that. State College needs a system of rickshaws. Coconut naan is not actually an India thing.
Marigolds don't have any actual significance. Monsoons don't stop the party, they start it. Delhi Belly can occur in places other than Delhi AKA the flight from Mumbai to Jaipur. Time travel is a real thing. Jumping off of buildings is actually quite thrilling. Sleep is pretty necessary. Best friends that travel together will yell at one another and then immediately figure it out. Seeing the world is a calling... I need to continue my travels.

Thank you, India. Thank you for molding me into a better person. Thank you for allowing me to look into myself and my future so that I'll never look back. Thank you for showing me that life's greatest adventures lie within the things that terrify you the most.

While we may be thousands of miles away from one another, I'm confident that we can make this long-distance relationship work. Don't go forgetting about me. I'll be back sooner than you think and I can't wait to see what adventure we'll have next.

Officially signing off from the most amazing adventure of my life,
Kirst




2 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH AND NOW IM CRYING. SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU KURST!! LOVE YOU - MCASH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really Great time we had with uh people ... Uh people are so amazing ...Will miss uh and Also I invite uh to come India again 😊

    ReplyDelete